February 11, 2014
The Reality of Reality TV
Andrew Costello, a contestant of the Biggest Loser 2008 edition, shares his exposé on the shortcomings of the reality television programme. Fictitious weigh-ins, duct tape for flabby folds set a reality check on the true progression of weight loss in contestants.
Surely the weight loss is real at the ending weight. However, it was also unveiled that 75% of contestants, despite the weight loss in the show, are back at their original weight. The other 25% have gone for bariatric surgery.
In a recent meta-analysis (review summary of previous other studies) of 796 individuals in 11 studies pitting bariatric surgery versus conservative measures (exercise, medications, lifestyle programmes), surgery was found to be unequivocally superior to the latter. On average, patients who underwent surgery lost 26kg more than those on non-surgical means. In addition, there were benefits of remission (reversal) of diabetes and metabolic syndrome.
As for the longevity of weight-loss operations, the longest analysis to date spanning 20 years of data in the Swedish Obesity Subjects study shows patients who have had bariatric surgery are able to keep the weight loss (compared to those in the conservative control group).
Bariatric surgery therefore presents itself as an evidence-based, long-term solution to obesity and metabolic diseases like diabetes. No television editing, Hollywood makeovers, photoshopping or duct tape required.
To find out more on bariatric surgery and how it can benefit you, contact the Clinic for Digestive Surgery at +65 6570 2702 to speak to our Clinic Nurse. Alternatively, drop us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org, or fill up the enquiry form at http://clinicfordigestivesurgery.com/contact. We will attend to you at the soonest opportunity.
- Previous article An Urban Report – a developed Nation with a developing trend
- Next article Matters the Markers Maketh - Carcinoembryonic Antigen (CEA)